MEXICAN CAULIFLOWER RICE
Properly prepared, cauliflower rice is chewy, nutty, and deliciously addictive. For best flavor and texture, make the rice from scratch using a fresh head of cauliflower. Cauliflower happily absorbs seasonings, so be generous - jalapeno, garlic, tomato paste, lime juice, and cilantro are each prominent but balanced in our Mexican cauliflower rice. This dish is both easy and flexible, make in one skillet, and ready in under 30 minutes.
- Food Processor
- 12" Skillet
- 1 head cauliflower, riced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Rice the cauliflower. Slice the florets from the head of the cauliflower. Fit a food processor with the s-blade. Place half the florets into the bowl of the food processor and pulse until riced, scraping down the sides once halfway through to catch any larger pieces. Scrape out the riced cauliflower and repeat with the remaining florets.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil and heat until it shimmers. Add the onion and sautee until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally, 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and jalapeno and sautee until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, salt, cumin, and paprika and stir into the vegetables.
- Add the cauliflower rice and stir continuously until all ingredients are incorporated. Continue sautéing, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower releases its liquid and is dry and fluffy.
- Remove the Mexican cauliflower rice from heat. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Serve immediately.
- Make a Mexican Keto Bowl: combine 1/4 of the cauliflower rice with half an avocado, 1 poached egg, 1/4 c shredded red cabbage, and 2 tbsp queso fresco.
- Nutritional Information: 460 calories / 31g fat / 24 g protein / 13 net carb.
- To use frozen cauliflower rice:
- Defrost in the fridge overnight or in a fine mesh sieve under cool running water.
- Shake the rice to remove as much moisture as possible.
- Transfer the cauliflower rice to a cotton kitchen towel and wring out excess moisture.
- Frozen cauliflower rice will cook more quickly.
- To use store-bought cauliflower rice:
- Look for bright white cauliflower rice, without a hint of a green tint
- Store packaging may cause the rice to sweat and release moisture, so be sure to wring it out before using.
- Storage instructions:
- Store in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Reheat in the microwave in 30-second intervals or in a skillet over a medium high flame for 2-3 minutes.
- If making for meal prep, reserve fresh cilantro and add just after reheating.
Calories: 105kcal (5%)
Carbohydrates: 15g (5%)
Protein: 4g (8%)
Fat: 4g (6%)
Saturated Fat: 1g (5%)
Polyunsaturated Fat: 0g
Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
Trans Fat: 0g
Sodium: 500mg (21%)
Potassium: 713mg (20%)
Fiber: 5g (20%)
Sugar: 6g (7%)
Vitamin A: 950% (950%)
Vitamin C: 113% (113%)
Calcium: 90% (90%)
Iron: 1.8% (2%)
Thank you to...