Keto Onion Rings
All the crispness of your favourite onion rings but a fraction of the carbs! These keto onion rings and super easy to make. I used whey protein as a low carb substitute for flour, which I flavoured with seasoning and spices.
- 120 g onions actual onion rings - 3 onions (170g) and I discarded the ends and tiny bits in the middle
- ½ cup whey protein powder isolate, 50g
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp flaked salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp sparkling water
- Oil to fry. Avocado ghee or coconut are best. I used 2 cups.
- Use a fork to steady the onion. Slice into 1 cm rings. Remove the skin and separate the rings. Discard the ends and the small rings right in the centre.
- Heat the oil in a 18 x 9 cm saucepan until really hot and slightly bubbling. The oil should be deep enough to fully cover the onion rings. I used 2 cups.
- Place all the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix. Add the wet ingredients to another clean bowl and mix to combine. Dip each onion ring in the wet and then into the dry to fully coat and place on a wire rack. Coat 8 at a time and fry in batches of 4 to avoid the whey batter soaking and disappearing into the egg.
- Carefully lower 4 onion rings at a time into the hot oil and fry about 45 seconds or until golden and crisp. Remove the onion rings with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to soak up any excess fat.
- Repeat for all the remaining onion rings.
Total Carbohydrates: 4.2g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Thank you to…