Keto Churro Donuts
Puffy and lightly crisp, these keto churro donuts are one incredible low carb dessert... at just 1g net carb a pop!
Oh, and if baking with cups rather than grams is your thing, just click on US Cups for an instant conversion.
Servings 12 churro donuts
Calories 88 kcal
For the keto churro donuts
- 64 g almond flour
- 28 g coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk ground
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 240 ml water
- 57 g grass-fed butter or coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons allulose erythritol or xylitol*
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 55 g mozzarella for extra crispness, see notes*
- grass-fed butter or coconut oil, melted
- 1/4-1/2 cup allulose or sweetener of choice, to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon we use 2
- chocolate sauce optional
- pastry bag
- star tip such as Ateco #824
- See recipe video for guidance!
- Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Whisk together in a medium bowl almond flour, coconut flour, psyllium husk and xanthan gum. Set aside.
- Heat up water, butter, sweetener and salt in medium pot (or Dutch oven) until it just begins to simmer. Lower heat to low and add in flour mixture, mixing constantly to incorporate. Continue to cook and stir until the dough pulls away from the pan and forms into a ball, 1-3 minutes.
- Transfer dough back to the bowl and allow to cool for 5 minutes. The dough should still be warm, but not hot enough to scramble the eggs.
- Add in one egg at a time, mixing until fully incorporated. The dough will be very stiff, but keep going until fully mixed in. Mix in vanilla extract. The final dough should still be stiff and form into a ball easily, but will also be very elastic. You can use a hand mixer here for a faster approach if you prefer. NOTE: If you want your churro donuts lightly crisp, feel free to mix in a touch of a neutral cheese (think mozzarella, see notes).
- Allow the dough to rest until it comes to room temperature (10-15 minutes) and spoon dough into a piping bag with a star tip (say #824 works great). Pipe out rounds onto the prepared baking tray, we made 12 out of a batch.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until deep golden. Baking times will vary a lot here depending on your oven (convection etc), so check in at minute 10. Brush with melted butter right out of the oven and sprinkle with cinnamon 'sugar'.
- Store in an airtight container for 3 days, giving them a quick re-warm before serving again.
*As many of you may’ve noticed, the keto grain free flours generally stay on the softer side (i.e. are near-impossible to crisp up!). My suggestion? Just throw in a tiny bit of cheese. Yup, for real! I got this hack from our cheese puffs, which turn out beautifully crisp. You’ll be adding much less though, and with all the toppings you won’t bat an eye lash!
The choux pastry to make churros is always very lightly sweetened (and fairly bland solo), think just a couple tablespoons. But this is really to accommodate for a generous cinnamon sugar dusting. So to sweeten the keto choux pastry itself you can use anything from sugar alcohols (erythritol and xylitol) and allulose.
Now for the cinnamon ‘sugar’ coating, allulose or xylitol are probably your best bet for the most sugar-like result. Having said that, if you’re not too bothered by the cooling aftertaste of erythritol (which gets greatly diminished by the cinnamon), it works great too.
And if just grain free, coconut sugar is your best bet here. And of course, raw sugar works great too.
And if using xylitol, make sure to be careful if you have a pup around the house, as it’s highly toxic to the little guys!
Please note that nutrition facts were estimated per one churro donut, and I found a batch to yield roughly twelve.
(1g net carb!) Gluten Free & Keto Churro Donuts
Amount Per Serving (1 churro donut)
Calories 88Calories from Fat 63
% Daily Value*
Fat 7g 11%
Saturated Fat 3g 15%
Cholesterol 37mg 12%
Sodium 98mg 4%
Potassium 10mg 0%
Carbohydrates 3g 1%
Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 2g 4%
Vitamin A 160IU 3%
Calcium 19mg 2%
Iron 0.4mg 2%
Thank you to…