Keto Chocolate Hazelnut Biscotti
Crisp with a slight chewiness, and a delicious chocolate flavour that pairs perfectly with the roasted hazelnuts, these grain-free keto biscotti may very well be my new favorite sweet treat.
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour (125 g/ 4.4 oz)
- 1/4 cup granulated Erythritol or Swerve (50 g/ 1.8 oz)
- 3/4 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 3 tbsp cacao powder or Dutch process cocoa powder (15 g/ 0.5 oz)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped, peeled hazelnuts (63 g/ 2.2 oz)
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp melted unsalted butter or virgin coconut oil (15 ml)
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 160 °C/ 320 °F (conventional), or 140 °C/ 285 °F (fan assisted).
- Add the dry ingredients: almond flour, sweetener, baking powder, xanthan gum, cocoa, and hazelnuts (roasted will add more flavour) and salt, together in large bowl and mix until combined.
- Add the melted butter (or coconut oil) and beaten eggs to mixture. Mix well until a dough forms.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Form the dough into a low, wide log shape, about 5 cm (2 inches) wide and about 2 cm (1 inch) high. If the dough is a bit sticky, dust your hands with coconut flour to help handle it without sticking.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until loaf is browned on the outside and firm in the centre. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Once cold, slice the loaf into slices about 2 cm (3/4 inch) thick.
Please note: If your loaf is refusing to slice and is very crumbly, I recommend allowing it to sit out overnight and go slightly stale. This will not affect the finished quality, but will greatly enhance the slice-ability of the loaf.
- Preheat oven to 140 °C/ 285 °F (conventional), 120 °C/ 250 °F (fan assisted). Lay the slices very carefully in a flat layer on one or two lined baking trays as needed. Toast for 15 to 20 minutes each side.
- Turn oven off, prop oven door open using a wooden spoon and let biscotti cool in oven until crisp.
- Store up to a week in an airtight container at room temperature.
Nutritional values (per serving: 1 biscotto)
Calories from carbs 6%, protein 13%, fat 81%
Total carbs: 3.5gr.
Fiber: 1.9 gr.
Sugars: 0.8 gr.
Saturated fat: 1.3 gr.
Sodium: 50 mg (2% RDA)
Magnesium: 37 mg (9% RDA)
Potassium: 111 mg(6% EMR)
Thank you to...