Keto Apple Cobbler
This keto apple cobbler cleverly uses chayote squash instead of apples for a low carb keto friendly apple crisp substitute.
"Apple" Chayote Filling
- 4 Chayote Squash, cooked, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tablespoons of unsalted butter (cut into small pieces to dot the filling)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 3/4 granulated sugar substitute , Lakanto, classic or gold
- 2 tablespoons of cinnamon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder
- 1/4 of teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 large eggs , room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups of finely milled almond flour
- 1/2 cup of coconut flour
- 1/4 cup of cold unsalted butter (sliced into small pieces)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar-substitute
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 cup of sugar substitute confectioners sugar. (I use Lakanto powdered)
- 4 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Pre-heat 350
- Boil the whole chayote with enough water to cover them.
- Cook the chayote squash for about 25 30 minutes. They should still be firm but cooked through.
- Allow the chayote squash to cool. Peel and slice the now cooled chayote into 1/4 inch slices.
- Place the cooled chayote into a medium-size bowl.
- To the chayote add the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, spices or essential oils, 1/2 cup sugar substitute, cream of tartar, and lemon juice. Combine well.
- In a baking dish 9X9 baking dish that has been greased well with butter add the chayote filling.
- Dot the filling with the 2 tablespoons of sliced butter.
- Create the cobbler crust by combining the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and 3 tablespoons of sugar substitute.
- Using a pastry cutter or by hand cut in the thinly sliced cold butter into the dry ingredients. Mix until crumbly and resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Next, add the eggs and combine well but do not over mix. Set aside.
Assemble The Cobbler
- Top the "apple" cobbler with the crumb crust. Make sure to break up the crust topping into small pieces and evenly distribute.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees until hot and bubbly for 35-40 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Combine the confectioner's sugar substitute, heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract, a pinch of salt.
- Stir until well combined.
- Drizzle on top of the warm cobbler.
SERVING SIZE: 1
TOTAL FAT: 9.4g
SATURATED FAT: 3.1g
Thank you to…